Saturday, October 30, 2010

My first game and I am the lead!

Being a senior in my Computer Science major we are all forced to take a senior design class in order to graduate. Usually I would not be so excited about this but the professor had an interesting way of deciding who the team leads would be... he had us all submit resumes. Thanks to my internship at Creat Studios as well as my freelance design work with Gamenauts I was selected to be a lead for one of the 7 teams. This of course means that I have a much higher level of responsibility and will need to do more work but it should look amazing on my resume once I graduate. The next part which I have been excited about is the fact that I will be working on a game for the Navy base in Newport, RI. It is a game which is meant to help men learn how to use the periscopes in the submarines without having to actually be in a submarine.

Due to the fact that they want the game to be portable for the sailors to mess around with in their free time we have made the decision to make it for Android as opposed to PC like the company assumed we would be doing. We are currently in a very early stage of development consisting of multiple design documents and diagrams but it is a very exciting process to be working on a game in such a professional environment where I have such responsibilities. At my internship I was the low man on the totem pole so I would do whatever I was told but now I am the opposite where I need to control a team. I hope that this works out well enough that this team could even start making our own Android games together in the future but I will not get too ahead of myself... yet

No comments:

Post a Comment